2012年3月30日星期五

Column: Accessorize me

Although this is technically a fashion column, I’m taking a bit of a break today to talk about something else: accessories.

I know what you’re thinking: “Aren’t accessories the same thing as fashion?”

Technically “fashion” is a bit of an umbrella term, consisting of clothing, accessories, jewelry and the like. But those discrete parts each deserve their own attention (or at least a Style File article), and accessories are first on my list.

Accessories are not only separate from fashion, which really just involves clothes, but sometimes they feel even more important. This is partially for practicality: Unless they’re especially wild, accessories last seasons longer than their clothing counterparts.

But it’s about the entire look — the big picture — as well. What’s a fabulous outfit without the perfect bag or shoe? I’d argue that accessories truly make the outfit.
They’re the elements that leave a lasting impression and build your personal style.

This is especially significant for girls like me who shop at H&M and own the same clothes as thousands of other women. You can mix and match your clothes any way you want, but accessories are truly the icing on the mass retailer cake. They add that je ne sais quoi.

Women have no problem saving most of their spending money for accessories. A hand-crafted, pebbled Celine tote not only feels like a thousand bucks, but it’s easy to justify spending that much on such a beautiful piece of leather artwork (if you have the cash, that is).

And unlike Céline, some of the best designers specialize only in accessories, such as Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and my current favorite, Charlotte Olympia. Some fashion bloggers write exclusively about accessories. It’s no joke.

But this isn’t exactly news. Accessories have been around forever, and the men and women who transformed accessories into these coveted, luxurious collectibles have been designing for decades. However, my personal stance on accessories has taken a turn to the obsessive.

I absolutely love fashion, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop dreaming up outfits in my sleep or playing with the latest trends. I’ve always loved accessories, too. For as long as I can remember, I’ve longed for a Chanel bag the way most boys want a sports car.

But something about this season has made accessories more than a blip on my radar. I’m now completely fascinated by the endless potential of a colorful wedge or the supreme versatility of the right mini bag.

没有评论:

发表评论