2013年1月6日星期日

where they lived and driving them home

He and his wife, Terry, have been running it for 14 years and it raises money for needy children. It's not named after the Alabama coach but for his father, the hardworking man and tough Pop Warner coach who made Saban what he is.

Saban, who isn't one to let his emotions show easily, opened up a bit while talking about his father during media day for the BCS championship.

Saban grew up in rural West Virginia and started working by the time he was 11, "which I think is probably been the most critical thing in the development of the work ethic that I have," he said Saturday.

His father and mother, Mary, instilled in Saban the importance of respecting people and at times he was taught hard lessons.

"There was a bum that used to come to my dad's service station early in the morning because he'd give him free coffee and doughnuts," Saban said. "We had had a tough game the night before, I don't remember whether it was basketball game, a football game or whatever. The guy was giving me a hard time and I sort of sassed him. I was 17 years old. I got the strap right on the spot.

"It was the right thing. I needed to learn a lesson. I was disrespectful to an older person, regardless of the situation."

Big Nick Saban started the Pop Warner football league in which his son played. Saban said his father bought a school bus to drive the kids around, picking them up from the coal mining towns where they lived and driving them home so they wouldn't have to hitchhike.

"He was a tough coach," Saban said. "He expected the best all the time. Probably instilled some of the perfectionist-type characteristics that I have in what I try to do."

Being a quarterback is always about making the right call at the right time.

That's why Alabama's AJ McCarron brought about 30 pairs of shoes to South Florida. Surely there's a penalty for going out in black sneakers and brown pants, right?

"Back at home, I've got a bunch of shoes. I've got at least 130 pair," McCarron said. "I brought like 30 here. At nighttime, I never know what I'm going to wear so I change and try to match."

McCarron typically wears a suit, bow tie and all, to games.

Tailback Eddie Lacy just shakes his head and points to the only pair of shoes — red and white sneakers — he brought to Florida.

"That's all I need," he says. "I've only got two feet. I don't know what's up with (McCarron) and his shoe fetish."

没有评论:

发表评论